Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy Wanderings #1


Well, I've made it to Hastings and here's a shot my of hosts, Ma & Pa McGarvey. Apparently, there has been a slight mix-up in the bookings - they thought I was only staying tonight at their place, then going to stay in Napier for the Conference, but I am only booked in from Monday in Napier. So it looks like I'll be out on the street tomorrow night.

The flights were uneventful, apart from some minor bumps. I lisened to a Don Carson message while I waited at Christchurch airport for my flight to Napier at 12.05pm.

Two men were seated across the aisle from me on the Napier leg - an Englishmen and a Maori. I tried to read my book but couldn't help overhearing bits of their conversation, from which I gathered that the Englishman was a former cricketer for England, now living in Queenstown. He looked vaguely familiar but I've no idea of his name. They talked (well the E-man, mostly) about the power of positive thinking for much of the journey.

Mum & Dad picked me up at Napier airport and we drove to Hastings in their hybrid Prius. Very quiet & smooth. They took me to New World in Hastings for lunch. Wow, Jono, you should have seen it. A supermarket, a petrol station and a cafe. I took some pictures of it on my phone but forgot the cable to download them, so you'll have to wait until I get home to see them. The supermarket has just recently been extended and upgraded.

The rest of the afternoon has been sitting and talking. Aunty Lynn and Dale came over at 4pm and have not long left. Its warm here, but the weather is starting to change - there's a southerly coming.

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of Happy Wanderings .....

1 comment:

Jono said...

Thought I'd better make a comment, or you'd complain. Have fun.